5 Tips to Thoughtfully Refresh Your Home for Fall
Hello Friends! It’s been a wonderful, busy summer and I’m writing to you from my cozy office, where it feels like we flipped the switch into fall in one day. I’m here in lightweight cashmere sweater, after going on a foraging mission for my fall clothes. Wasn’t it just last weekend (here in MN) that we were trying our hardest to beat the 90+ degree heat?
We are here now, looking out the windows at green leaves on the trees, but the energy has shifted and days are becoming shorter with refreshingly cool evenings. That creates a shift in our homes too. I’ve been doing some slow cooking and pulling out blankets for sofa snuggling. What changes have you made around your home to welcome the cooler weather?
Today I’ll share a few tips and ideas that will thoughtfully shift your home into the next phase of the year, when we turn our attention indoors. I hope you enjoy!
1. Embrace Natural Elements: Incorporate natural elements into your interior design to create a sense of harmony and connection with the environment. Use materials like wood, stone, and plants to add warmth and texture to your space. Consider adding indoor plants to bring life and color into your rooms, and use sustainable and eco-friendly materials whenever possible. Snip a funky, twisted branch from the oak tree and put it into an oversized vase or urn. Stores like Pottery Barn and Bachmans have great faux florals/branches that you can reuse year after year.
2. Personalize with Meaningful Decor: Fill your home with decor that holds personal significance and tells your story. Display artwork, photographs, or objects that have sentimental value or bring back fond memories. These pieces not only add character to your space but also create a sense of emotional connection. This time of year I change out photos of summer vacations to those of the family in the fall.
3. Layer Textures and Colors: Play with textures and colors to create depth and visual interest in your home. Mix and match different fabrics, such as cozy throws, plush rugs, and tactile cushions. Experiment with a harmonious color palette that resonates with your soul, choosing hues that evoke the emotions and moods you want to experience in each room. The whimsical, brighter colored pillow (covers) of summer make way for layers of texture in my home, with boucle and shearling fabrics taking over.
4. Light all the candles: As the light shifts and the sun hangs lower in the sky, the light in our homes shifts as well. To take the edge off the cool mornings and create an extra layer of emotional comfort, I light candles in my home, even during the day. We created a bespoke, hand poured hemp wax candle that we will be offering for sale. We think it’s the absolute bees knees and we’re sure you’ll love it too. It’s such a delight to the senses to walk into the bathroom or kitchen and be welcomed by a beautiful, clean fragrance filling the room.
5. Mindful Decluttering: Practice mindful decluttering to create a serene and peaceful environment. Take ten minutes in each room, over the course of a week, and clear out items that no longer serve a purpose or bring you joy. Focus on quality over quantity and then give those items a dusting. Decluttering our spaces clears our mental energy and brings us renewed focus and love of our home.
Thoughtful interior design is about creating a space that nurtures your well being and reflects your authentic self. It’s a journey of self discovery and self expression, so take your time to curate your home with intention and love. And as always, we are here to help.
April Star Goodman